Monday, September 29, 2008

Journal Entry #3
Poll ten people about their book reading habits:

How many books have you read in the last 6 months?
1 2 books
2 1 book
3 2 books
4 5 books
5 2 books
6 8 books
7 3 books
8 20 books
9 30 Books
10 35 books
What types of books have you read?
1 Jane Austen
2 Religious
3 Mysteries
4 Classic Lit, Psychology
5 Twilight
6 Classical Novels
7 Religious, Oprah book of month
8 Psychology, Modern nonfiction
9 Economics, Psychology books
10 Business and economics
What does this tell you about your sample and society?
s
From this survey I could tell that most people read books that are related to what they do in life. The people on my list who read more than ten books, mostly read books related to their profession. The people on my list who read a lot of books are all very smart people who find time for it. A lot of people made the excuse that they dont have time, but the people who love to read find time to do it.
Would you prefer to use regular textbooks or electronic textbooks in your classes? Why?
I prefer to use regular textbooks in my classes. I like that normal textbooks are tangible. I like that I can pick it up, open it and highlight it. An electronic textbook just does not give this flexibility. You are stuck to the computer, only being able to read the textbook when you have your computer with you. Another reason is that my computer is distracting to me. Email, chat, and sports alerts pop-up constantly, distracting me from the reading I should be doing. I prefer to read the book without all the countless entertainment possibilites at my fingertips
Which do you prefer for leisure reading? Why?
I prefer having a normal book for leisure reading as well. Much of the same reasons above apply to this choice for leisure reading. In addition to the reasons previously stated, reading an actual book has become an experience for me. I like sitting down in my chair, and reading for hours. Part of this experience would be lost if i were sitting down with a computer instead of a book. When I truly love a book I am reading, I take it everywhere with me. I read it while waiting in line, while driving with other, etc.... To do this would not be convenient at all.

No comments: